It’s summertime, and though we all may “scream for ice cream”, our waistlines are begging us to lighten up. Luckily, summertime is also chock full of fresh fruit, a naturally sweet dessert, which provide us with many important vitamins, minerals, fiber and water.
In fact, we need at least 2-4 servings of fruit per day. The following recipe combines 2 of these delicious fruits in a satisfying and low-calorie dessert.
1 package prepared low-calorie instant vanilla pudding
1- 8-ounce container fat-free or light whipped topping, ½ cup divided
2 ¼ cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided (2 cups & ¼ cup)
2 ¼ cups blueberries, divided (2 cups & ¼ cup)
1 prepared (10 ounces) angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Fold the vanilla pudding into the whipping topping (minus the reserved ½ cup of whipped cream).
- Combine the 2 cups of strawberries and 2 cups of blueberries.
- Place half the cake cubes in the bottom of a 2- to 3- quart trifle dish or straight-sided glass serving bowl. Top with half of the fruit mixture and then half of the whipped cream mixture. Repeat layers with remaining cake and fruit mixture. Spoon remaining whipped cream mixture over the fruit mixture. Place reserved ½ cup of whipped cream on top.
- Arrange reserved strawberry slices and blueberries over the whipped cream.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Calories per serving: ~170