This recipe is quick, easy, and a perfect way to increase carbohydrate consumption prior to The Big Day. Using beans not only provides protein, but they also provide approximately 15-20 grams of carbohydrate per ½ cup serving.
Serves 8 regularly or 4 when training
1 lb. box penne
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can Cannellini or White Beans
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
10 ounces fresh Spinach, chopped
½ cup low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water as directed on the package.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large non-stick skillet until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, beans, and seasonings to the skillet. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add spinach to the sauce and cook until spinach wilts, stirring constantly.
- Serve sauce over pasta, and sprinkle with feta.
|Serves 4||Serves 8|
|Carbohydrates||76 g||38 g|
|Fat||7 g||3.5 g|
|Protein||16 g||8 g|