We all know that yogurt is good for us. Low fat yogurt provides a good source of dairy and calcium, helping to make our bones stronger. Yogurt is also packed with beneficial bacterial cultures that help support digestion and our immune system. But do you ever get bored of your watery, runny American-style yogurt? Have you been looking for a thicker more indulgent alternative that will still keep you healthy? Look no further…Greek yogurt is here to stay! Greek yogurt is a better alternative to the stuff we’re used to eating. Just make sure to opt for the low-fat or non-fat varieties of the yogurt.
Why is Greek Yogurt So Good?
- Texture – Greek yogurt has a smooth, rich and thick consistency that tastes too good to be true! Part of what makes Greek yogurt different than regular yogurt is that it is strained to remove the whey, giving it a dense texture
- Versatility – Greek yogurt can be used for both savory and sweet dishes. Due to its thick texture and rich taste, many people use it as a substitute for milk, sour cream and even crème fraiche when cooking or baking.
- More Protein – With more protein than the average American yogurt, Greek yogurt is a protein powerhouse. Since it is strained, the protein content is concentrated, providing an average of 20g per cup as opposed to 13g per cup for the American style.
- Easier to Digest – Greek yogurt contains less carbs than regular yogurt and therefore less lactose, the sugar in dairy products that can sometimes upset people’s stomachs.
- Fullness Factor – Greek yogurt is dense and so high in protein that it keeps you feeling full and satisfied
- Favorite Yogurt Brand: Fage 0 or 2% Yogurt
- Favorite things to Add to it: 1-2 tbsp of Knorr Soup Mix (or salsa if you’re salt-sensitive)
- Favorite Time of the Day to Use It: 4pm snack with sliced cucumber and peppers
- Favorite Yogurt Brand: Oikos Organic Greek 0% Yogurt
- Favorite things to Add to it: Crushed garlic, onions and chopped cucumber (to make tzaziki)
- Favorite Time to Use It: At dinner on top of poached salmon or chicken kebabs
- Favorite Yogurt Brand: Chobani ‘Fruit on the Bottom’ Blueberry Greek 0% Yogurt
- Favorite things to Add to it: ½ cup of KashiGoLean Cereal, cinnamon and 1 tsp of ground flax
- Favorite Time to Use It: Breakfast (a healthier version of a yogurt parfait)